- 1. Imitation. Learning by hearing.
- (But language has generativity: children can combine words if they dont know a word...evidence that not all learning of language is just imitation)
2. Nativist. Wired to acquire language (nurture). Language acquisition device: part of brain solely for producing and analyzing language
3. social pragmatics. Meaning is learned via social context
4. General Cognitive processing. Language acquired through general cognitive skills that are used for learning in general. we are hardwired to learn