What are some Contributing Factors to Microbial Resistance?
1. Microbes ADAPT quickly to new environments
2. Microbes have SMALL number of genes, and single random gene mutations can have large impact on properties
3. Microbes replicate fast, and evolve fast
4. A mutation that helps a microbe survive can quickly become predominate throughout population
5. Microbes can get genes, including resistant genes, by direct transfer from their own species and from other species
6. Widespread and Inappropriate use of antibiotic theraypy (antibiotic use for viral infections, improper dosage, lack of bacterial information on organism, use of antibiotic in animal feed, antibiotics as OTC products in other parts of the world)
7. Patient NONCOMPLIANCE