The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is politics?
- The exercise of of power
- Determiniation of who gets what, when, how
- Public allocation of value
- Resolution of conflict
Based on facts and focuses on the "what" questions
Specifies why something happens and provides a reason for why it occurs
Value judgement that indicates what shoul occur
Appeal to doc, tradition, or preson that is believed to possess controlling explanation regarding specific issues
Parent, teacher, friend, celebrity
Constitutions, leaders, respected books, religious teachings..
Belief held strongly by many other people
Individual uses own powers of thought for determination
- Knowledge claim is self evident to all people and needs no further justification.
- Knowledge is based on feeling; it "feels" right
- Search or regularities
- Science is empirical in that it is a phenomenon that can be observed
- Cumulative because it accepts previously established foundations for development of further knowledge
- Testable: looks for analysis/evidence to support/falsify claim
Focuses on similarities and differences in political processes and structures. Public administration, political policies..
Covers all types of topics as comparitive politics
Focus is on political relationsbetween counttries
- AKA political philosophy
- Focuses on ideas/debates with political questions
Combination of beliefs/actions is the essence of domain of politcal science
Normative Political Knowledge
Fundamental values/ideas that can be basis of an individuals poltical beliefs and actions. Makes a claim of how things actually are.
- Comprehensive set of beliefs about political world- desireable political goals and best way to achieve goal in western societies.
- Have 3 ideaologies:
- 1) Human Nature: "nature vs nurture" we are born with our ideas or are we proucts of our environment
- 2) Inividual" state, society, highest value is indiviual liberty and freedom of action.
- 3) Equality: Liberalism, legal equality, material equality
Attempts to prevent/slow transitions away from a society based on traditional values and soical hierarchy.
Places highest value on individual freedom and posts that the role of gov is limite. Each person is rational and can use reason to determine laws of nature.
Goal is to provide high quality, equal commons of life for everyone. People are social and caring. Power and policies of state increase material, social, and political equality.
Egalitarianism is a primary goal and assumes changes can be efffected by a gov that comes to power and rules by democratic means. Does not attempt to plan all aspects of economic system
Synthesis of facts and feelings into a judgement about some political phenomenon