Bible Study: Exam 1
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
Name the 10 things scripture does for mankind.
- 1. Reveals what God is like
- 2. Reports what God has done in the past
- 3. Gives Us Confidence in what God can and Will Do
- 4. Gives us an awareness of how God works
- 5. Declares his will
- 6. Gives us common beliefs and convictions that bind us together
- 7. Provides the vocabulary and grammar of our faith
- 8. Relays the Glad Tidings of God’s provision to
- restore our relationship with Him
- 9. Instructs us how to live in fellowship with God
- 10. Provides our mandate and message as believers
What does the word bible mean?
- Scripture comes from the Greek meaning “writing”
- or “Writings”
How many authors?
At least 50
Name the steps God uses to Communicate Truth
What is general revelation
God revealing certain truths and aspects about his nature to all humanity
What is special revelation
Restricted to the Bible and Jesus Christ
God revealed himself through (5 things)
- In Creation
- Within the Human Personality
- Through His Mighty Acts
- In Jesus Christ – the ultimate of God’s revelation to man
- Through what the Bible says
What is inspiration
...That mysterious process by which the Holy Spirit worked with human authors without destroying the writers individual styles and personalities, giving guidance in such a way to produce the divinely infallible and authoritative writings which include only the 66 Books commonly recognized to be in the canon of scripture.
Four theories of inspiration
- Neo-Orthodox - The Bible becomes God’s word as the person encounters it (But the Bible already is the Word of God)
- Dictation Theory - The writer writes exactly what the Holy Spirit speaks
- Limited Inspiration- Matters to how you should live and believe are inspired but everything else is not
- Verbal-Plenary - Every word is inspired
What does canon mean?
- Recognition Process
- Literally: Measuring Rod
What is Hermeneutics
The art and the science of Interpreting the Bible
Looks at Historical context out of which a scripture was written as well as the grammar used
What is Exegesis?
- To Explain what scripture means
- Means to “draw out”, “to guide out of”
- Is Objective
- Is Responsible
What is Eisogesis?
- This is when you read into the text what is not there
- Is Subjective
- Is Irresponsible
Hermeneutics is the ability to do proper ________. To draw out what God put in.
What is a Sensuous Christian and what is the remedy?
- This person lives by their feelings rather than through an understanding of God’s Word
- Is only as effective as the intensity of his/her feelings
- Constantly seeks new spiritual highs
- Doesn’t want to know God, wants to feel God.
Name the 4 R's of Personal Revival
Name the 6 tips for meaningful bible reading.
- Read the bible like any other book
- Read it with personal interest
- Interpret narratives in the light of doctrinal passages
- carefully determine the meaning of words
- Give careful attention to genre
- Make use of the realities of prayer and the Holy Spirits Guidance
Why study the bible?
- Bible Study is Essential to growth
- Bible study is essential to spiritual maturity
- Bible Study is essential to spiritual effectiveness
- Because there is a great degree of biblical ignorance
- Because the Bible Itself Urges us to study
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview