phonic, syntactic, semantic
semantic parallelism: using words from the same semantic field
contrastive pairs or antithesis: using a two part utterance in which the parts are in opposition
- vocabs strong in meaning
- quoting figures (number game)
- quoting figures for self-praise or other dispraise
rhetorical questions-should not be answered, answer is implied
- political pronouns:
- personal/impersonal-I, we, third person reference
- Agentive pronouns-"It has been found necessary to our borderin Mexico.
- Metonymic reference: the budget will help raise the standard of living of the american people.
- Closeness and distancing:
- personal involvement
- accepting responsibility and giving agency to actions
Politician being in touch with whole country: accepting blame, fame