The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the equation for vessel bifurcation?
n = VinAin/VoAo
Atot,daughter = 1.25 Aparent
What is the division of the vessels?
- Aorta (25mm)->Arteries(4mm)->Arterials(20micro)->Capillaries(3micro)
- ->Venules(20micro)->Veins(5mm)->Vena Cava(30mm)
What percentage of blood is red blood cells?
Name 4 issues with modeling blood flow.
- 1) Flow has an unsteady component.
- 2) Small vessels are particular flow not continuum (Dv > 50 Drbc)
- 3) Complex shapes such as branching and tapering.
- 4) Short tube lengths (Reflections)
Give the three things caused by the velocity gradient in the arteries.
- 1) Red blood cells tend to tumble.
- 2) The membrane rotates around the cell (Tank Treading)
- 3) Due to Bernoulli's principal the pressure is higher above the cell forcing itg to the center of the artery (Axial Streaming)
What are the components of blood pressure.
- 1) DC (Steady) pressure associated with stretch (Compliance) of the large blood vessels
- 2) AC (Unsteady) pressure associated with bolus blood injection from the heart.
- 3) Hydrostatic pressure due to change in height (P = rho*g*h)
What are the parts of the artery wall (inside to outside)?
- 1) Endothelial cells
- 2) Basement membrane
- 3) Internal elastic lamellae (Elastin, E ~10^6)
- 4) Smooth muscle (Contraction, synthesis)
- 5) Crimped Collagen (E ~10^9-10^10)