Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
are able to obtain energy from a source that is from the physical environment, by using light or chemical energy.
to obtain their energy from other living organisms or other remains.
Example of autotrophs
plant cells, some protist cells
2 features a prokaryote cell does not have that an eukaryote does
- 1. no nucleus
- 2. no membrane bound organelles
3 feature that set fungi cells apart from plant cells
- 1. no chloroplast
- 2. heterographs
- 3. rigid cell walls made from chitin
Suggest why the protistans have traditionally been a difficult group to classify?
there are many diferent type of protists
3 features that all cells have in common
- 1. cytoplasm
- 2. Genetic material
- 3. Cell membrane
Name of the virius when they are outside a host cell
Why are viruses not considered living when outside a host cell?
cause they are inactive and cannot reproduce
Why do some scientists hypothesize that archaea are the first living things on Earth?
because they thrive in extreme conditions that mimic the Earth's atmosphere.
Example of extreme conditions.
- boiling/ acidic water
- hydrothermal vents
- super-salty pools
- Antartic permanent ice
Types of Archaea
- - Extreme temperatures & acidity
- - volcanoes and hot springs
- - Obtains energy from sulfur
- - high salt enviornment
- - obtains energy from salt
- - oxygen free
- - by converting inorganic molecules leaving methane gas as a waste product
bacteria converts ammona to usuable compounds
ammonia => Nitrite => Nitrate
- 1. shape
- 2. cell wall
- 3. Energy Source
Bacteria Shape Types
- 1. cocci : round
- 2. Bacilli : rod- shaped
- 3. spirilli : spiral shaped
Cell Wall Bacteria Types
- 1. Gram - positive - purple - thick
- 2. Gram - Negative - Pink - Thin
- diplo : arranged in pairs
- staphylo : arranged in clusters
- strepto: arranged in chains
A dye that hgihlights basic differences in the arrangement of molecules in bacterial cell walls.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview