Card Set Information
Physical Properties Matter
Test and Exam review
What are the four states of matter?
What is density?
Density is how close the atoms are; the mass per volume.
What is compressibility?
Compressibility is the ability to squish matter into a smaller space.
What is diffusion?
Diffusion is the ability to of the atoms to move away from other atoms.
What is the solid's volume, shape, density, compressibility and diffusion?
low to none DIFFUSION
What is the liquid's volume, shape, density, compressibility and diffusion?
no definite SHAPE
What is the gas' volume, shape, density, compressibility and diffusion?
no definite VOLUME
no definite SHAPE
what is plasma?
- It's considered to be the fourth state of matter
- most abundant state in the universe, less abundant in Earth
- Ionized gases, extremes of gas properties and positive ions
Rank solid, liquid, gas and plasma from the strongest to weaker IMFs.
What are molecules, atoms and ions?
molecules - tow or more atoms stuck together
atoms - smallest unit of life
ions - charged atoms
What explains/describes the movement of molecules, atoms and ions?
KMT or kinetic molecular theory
FILL IN THE BLANK:
KMT explains the behaviour of _______ the best because it has ________ IMFs. It does not explain the behviour of _______ and ______ very well.
little to no
What is the kinetic molecular theory?
- All matter is made up of small particles
- These particles are in constant random, straight line motion. It bounce off each other and the container wall molecules.
- The bouncing collisions between particles are perfectly elastic.
- The kinetic energy of particle determine the speed or movement of that particle. We measure K.E. using temperature.
What are the two types of solid?
What are the four types of crystalline solids?
What is an amphorous solid?
a type of solid that don't have any pattern or arrangement.
What is a crystalline solid?
It has a distinct repeating pattern of particles.
What makes up a covalent-network?
one type of non-metal atom
What makes up an ionic bond?
non-metal and metal
what makes up a molecular solid?
2 or more non metals
What makes up a metalic solid?
From strongest to weakest, rank the types of crystalline solids.