The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Common functional bowel disorder with no definire cause where the colon is sensitive and reactive to stress and triggers. Causing spastic contractions of the colon with no inflammation and no increased risk for colo-rectal cancer.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Abdominal pain (crampy, bloating discomfort) after eating and relieved with BM.
- Alterations in bowel patterns. Constipation/Diarrhea/Combination
- *Diet-^fat,spicy foods, caffeine, lactose intolerence
- *Menstrual Cycle (hormones)
- Lomotil/Imodium (antidiarrheals)
- Bulk-forming Laxatives (Metamucil)
- Simethicone (anti-gas)
- Bentyl/Dicyclomine (Antispasmatic-Anticholinergic)
- Tricyclic Antidepressants-diarrhea/abdominal pain
- SSRI's-constipation/abdominal pain
Medications Specifically for IBS.
- Libiprostone(Amitza)-For constipation IBS, for women over 18 y.o. only
- Lotronex (Alosetron)- for women who have not responded to conventional treatment, for diarrhea-prodomionate IBS. Severe constipation may occur.
Common Causes of Appendicitis
- Edema of Bowel Wall
- Occulision of Bowel by Adhesions
Clinical Manifestations of Appenticitis
- low grade fever
- generalized or localized RLQ abdominal pain
- Painat McBurney's point
Therapeutic Management for Appendicitis
Complications of Appendicitis
Symptoms of Perforation of Appendix
- Pain that may be relieved then comes back with more intensity.
- Abdomen may become hardened
- Leakage of contents from abdominal organs into the abdominal cavity
- *This is a medical EMERGENCY
- Depleats fluids in vascular space leading to hypovolemic shock
#1 cause of death r/t peritonitis
hypovolemic shock or sepsis
Complications of peritonitis
- bowel adhesions
- intestinal destruction