Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
How is the client positioned in the immediate postoperative period, and why?
Usually on the side or with head to side in order to prevent aspiration of any emesis
List three nursing actions that prevent postoperative wound dehiscence and evisceration:
- Teaching client to split incision when coughing
- Encouraging coughing and deep breathing in early postoperative period when sutures are strong
- Monitoring signs of infection, malnutrition, and dehydration; encouraging high-protein diet
Identify 3 nursing interventions that prevent postoperative UTI's:
- Avoiding postoperative catheterization
- Increasing oral fluid intake
- Emptying bladder q4-6 hr
- Early ambulation
Food and water are usually withheld beggining at midnight of the surgical day. However, if necessary, water may be given up to: __ hrs before surgery
The preoperative period begins _____ and ends when the patient ________.
when the decision to do surgery is made, transferred onto the operating room table
Diabetics undergoing surgery are at risk for four complications: ______, ________, ________, and _______.
hypoglycemia, hyperglycemia, acidosis, glucosuria
Aspirin is withheld ____ days prior to surgery, if possible, b/c it acts by _________.
7-10 days; inhibiting platelet aggregation
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview