In genetic couseling, what aspects are to be reviewed in the initial initerview?
1. maternal age - Down syndrome - women older than 35 years
- 2. ethnic background -
- eastern european jews - Tay Sachs disease
- blacks - sickle cell trait
3. family history - certain diseases are hereditary,
4. reproductive history - spontaneous abortions, stillbirths, and previous live-born children with birth defects may indicate an increased risk
5. maternal disease - maternal disorders have been associated with a higher frequency of birth defects. Diabetes mellitus, seizure disorder, mental retardation, etc.