The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
character talks to himself with others on stage
character talking to himself alone onstage
What kind of poetry does shakespeare write in?
unrhymed iambic pentameter
poetry without rhyme or rhythm
what is peculiar about the one time beatrice speaks in poetry?
- 2 quatrains and a couplet instead of 3 quatrains
double meaning for "Much ado about nothing"
- 1. all the trouble is a big deal for nothing
- 2. nothing=noting (noticing)
Why did Don Jon ruin Hero & Claudio's marriage?
- He doesn't like Claudio.
- -claudio took his place
- -he's closer to don pedro than john is
extended metaphor. Clever, witty, new; something that hasn't been compared before
words of goodbye
- no courtly love; requited
- more serious tone
- apply religious images & ideas to love
- conceit through a large part of a metaphor
- usually uneven lines & uneven rhymes
shape contributes to meaning
John Donne loves
cavalier poetry is modeled from
Cavalier poetry is written by a group known as
Tribe of Ben
metaphysical poetry is modeled after
when was cavalier poetry written?
1640's, around the English Civil War
English civil war
- cavalier (king charles) vs. roundheads (parliament)
- parliament won
- king charles executed in 1649
What happened after king charles was executed?
- 1649-1660 -no king
- Commonwealth (Puritans)- Oliver Cromwell
End of the renaissance
How did the renaissance end?
restoration of the monarchy (King Charles II)
- light, carefree
- less serious
- not philisophical
- less clever, no conceits
- sonnet conventions
- carpe diem
how did england become a world power?
- 1588- english navy defeated the spanish armada
- england had power of the seas -> trade & colonization
who translated the bible
St. Jerome- latin vulgate
who was the King James bible written by?
what language was the king james bible written in?
How was the king james bible translated/written?
renaissance- focused on being artistic, rather than accurate