Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
- Data Execution Prevention.
- A security feature that monitors how programs use memory and stops programs that attempt to use memory allocated for system programs and processes. This is intended to foil viruses, Trojan horses, and worms that attempt to invade system memory.
a digital signature incorporated into driver and system files as a way to verify the files and to ensure that they are not inappropriately overwritten.
a set of related Registry keys and subkeys stored as a file.
- Interrupt Request Line.
- A hardware line that a computer component, such as a disk drive or serial port, uses to communicate to the processor that it is ready to send or receive information. Intel-based computers have 16 IRQ lines, with 15 available for computer components to use.
the address in memory through which data is transferred between a computer component and the processor.
Microsoft Virtul Network Switch Protocol
Used with the Hyper-V role at the server's network interface card(s) (NICs) to bind or associate the virtual network services to the NIC and enable the use of a virtual switch between the parent partition containing the main operating system, Windows Server 2008, and child partitions containing other operating systems.
moving blocks of information, called pages, from RAM to virtual memory (the paging file) on disk.
Disk space, in the form of a file, for use when memory requirements exceed the available RAM.
Plug and Play
- ability of added computer hardware, such as an adapter or modem, to identify itself to the computer operating system for installation. PnP also referes to the Intel and Microsoft specifications for automatic device detection and installation. Many operating systems, such as Windows-based, Mac, and Unix/Linux support PnP.
A data parameter in the Registry stored as a value in hexadecimal, binary, or text format.
A category of information contained in the Windows Registry, such as hardware or software
A key within a Registry key, similar to a subfolder under a folder
Reliable Multicast Protocol
Used on Windows-based networks to facilitate multicast transmissions for multimedia communications.
On a network, this refers to an object, such as a shared printer or shared directory, which can be accessed by users. On workstations as well as servers, a resource is an IRQ line, I/O address, or memory that is allocatied to a computer compenent, such as a disk drive or communications port.
- Also called a subtree.The highest category of data contained in the Registry. There are five root keys.
- Security Configuration Wizard.
- A configuration tool that creates or modifies security policies for Windows Server 2008 servers.
A tool used to verify system and other critical files to determine if they have a signature.
System Environment Variables
Variables defined by the operating system and that apply to any user logged onto the computer.
- A supplementation to PnP that enables automated configuration for devices connected through a network.
User Environment Variables
Environment variables that are defined on a per-user basis
Disk storage allocated to link with physical RAM to temporarily hold data when there is not enough free RAM
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview