Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
an exagerated immune response.
something that causes an allergic reaction.
Anaphylaxis, aka anaphylactic shock
severe or life-threatening allergic reaction in which the blood vessels dilate, causing a drop in blood pressure/ hypotension, and the tissues lining the respiratory system swell, interfering with the airway.
Possible causes of allergic reactions
- -Insects, stings (bees, wasps, hornets, yellow jackets)
- -Foods (nuts, eggs, milk, shellfish)
- -Plants (poison ivy, sumac, oak)
- -Medications (penicillin)
- -Dust, chemicals, soaps, makeup, latex
Red, itchy, possibly raised blotches on the skin often result from allergic reactions.
Allergic Reaction - signs & symptoms
- -Skin: itching, hives, redness. Swelling & tingling sensation of face, neck, hands, feet, tongue.
- -Respiratory. Throat or chest tightness, cough. Rapid, labored breathing. Hoarseness or loss of voice. Stridor or wheezing.
- -Cardiac: increased heart rate, decreased BP.
- -Itchy/ watery eyes, headache, runny nose.
- -Signs & symptoms of Shock.
a syringe pre-loaded with medication that has a spring-loaded device which pushes the needle through the skin when the top of the device is pressed firmly against the body.
a hormone produced by the body. As a medication, it constricts blood vessels and dilates respiratory passages and is used to relieve severe allergic reactions.