Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
an exagerated immune response.
something that causes an allergic reaction.
Anaphylaxis, aka anaphylactic shock
severe or life-threatening allergic reaction in which the blood vessels dilate, causing a drop in blood pressure/ hypotension, and the tissues lining the respiratory system swell, interfering with the airway.
Possible causes of allergic reactions
- -Insects, stings (bees, wasps, hornets, yellow jackets)
- -Foods (nuts, eggs, milk, shellfish)
- -Plants (poison ivy, sumac, oak)
- -Medications (penicillin)
- -Dust, chemicals, soaps, makeup, latex
Red, itchy, possibly raised blotches on the skin often result from allergic reactions.
Allergic Reaction - signs & symptoms
- -Skin: itching, hives, redness. Swelling & tingling sensation of face, neck, hands, feet, tongue.
- -Respiratory. Throat or chest tightness, cough. Rapid, labored breathing. Hoarseness or loss of voice. Stridor or wheezing.
- -Cardiac: increased heart rate, decreased BP.
- -Itchy/ watery eyes, headache, runny nose.
- -Signs & symptoms of Shock.
a syringe pre-loaded with medication that has a spring-loaded device which pushes the needle through the skin when the top of the device is pressed firmly against the body.
a hormone produced by the body. As a medication, it constricts blood vessels and dilates respiratory passages and is used to relieve severe allergic reactions.