Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
managing relationships between a company and the publics that influence it
Define Vox Populi
voice of the people
study of the public
communication used to influence the attitude of a public towards a certain position
organizations that produce goods or services for a profit
organization that provides a service without the expectation of earning a profit
Define Trade Association
organization that offers services without the primary motive of earning a profit
Define PR Agency
assists with PR activities of other organizations
List the 5 elements of PR
- Management function
- Two-way communication
- Planned activity
- Research-based social science
- Socially responsible
List the 6 Categories of Careers
- Trade Association
- Independent PR Consultant
List the 4 step process of PR
List 3 publicity stunts discussed in class
- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
- Miss America
- DeBeers diamonds
What is the common denominator of the 5 elements of PR?
What is the lowest paid region for PR in the US?
Where was the Scopes Monkey Trial held?
What are characteristics for a corporation?
- Focus: specific publics
- Types of publics: employee, media, community, consumer, business-to-business, government, investor
- Tasks: press releases, newsletters, brochures, special events, direct-mail campaigns
- Types: manufacturers, retailers, sports organizations
What are characteristics for a non-profit?
- Donors instead of investors
- Types: universities, hospitals, churches, foundations
What are characteristics for a trade association?
- Focus: members
- Tasks: member benefits, insurance packages, continuing education, networking, conventions, recruiting
What are characteristics for government PR?
- Focus: voters, news media, employees, special interest groups
- Tasks: constituent concerns, position papers and speeches, brief officials
- Titles: press secretary, public information officer, communication specialist
What are characteristics for agencies?
- Focus: client/s at hand
- Partners: ad agencies, web designers, production supervisors, researchers, online specialists
What are characteristics for independent consultants?
- Focus: client/s at hand
- Can consult on a volunteer basis as well
"No one ever spoke like this man!" (Jesus)
List some biblical parables
- Moneylender forgives unequal debt
- Lost sheep
- Good Samaritan
Where was the first news release produced?
King's College (aka Columbia University)
What event is considered the first American publicity stunt?
Boston Tea Party
Who was the first US presidential press secretary and who did he serve under?
Amos Kendall under Pres. Jackson
Who first coined the term PR?
lawyer Dorman Eaton
Who opened the first PR agency?