COMM Chapter 5
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
occurs when two or more people clash over an issue and have different beliefs/values.
Causes of Conflict
- 1. Different Goals-clash expectations
- 2.Methods of Reaching Goals-agree on goal but differe on how to achieve the goal
- 3. Scarcity of Resources-comp of limited Resources
- 4. Relationship Differences-
- 5. Unequal Power Distribution-
- -Positional Power- refers to authority to the someone who is able to decide
- -Reward or punishment power- someone who has the ability to offer rewards
- -Info power- communicators ability to present meaningful info
- -Persuasive Power-ability to persuade others.
- 6.Unclear Role Expectations
- 7. Lack of info-people lack the info needed to makes a good decision or understand why something happened.
- 8. Different Values- moral conflict
- 9. Face- Saving-someone who has experienced real or imagined shame or embarrassment
Types of Conflict
- 1.Disagreement- mild conflict involves issues that are not necessarily related to the relationship
- 2. Misplaced Conflicts-one or both parties fail to recognize the real issue and instead engage someone or something else.
- -False conflict- one person thinks there is a conflict but not really
- -. Displaced Conflict- one person wrongfully attributes a problem or issue to another person
- -.Substitution Conflict- people argue about an issue but its not the one at the center of the problem.
- 2.Nonsubstantive Conflicts-complaining, whining
- 3. Substantive conflicts- involve real issues and thus real substance.
- 4. Organization conflict- occurs when policiees , decisions, or directional shifts create resistance between individuals who feel others are blocking their efforts or those of their group.
3 levels of conflict
- 1.Problem identification-identify a problem and move toward a solution
- 2. Advocacy- from consensus building to debating and providing proof.
- 3. Winning- pursued at all cost.
4 Theories of Conflict
- 1.Phase Theory-predictable pattern.
- 2. Conflict Avoidance Cylce theory-the longer we avoid it , the worse it gets.
- 3.Chilling Effect Theory-death of the relationship.
- 4. Escalation Theory- leads us to the illusion that the conflict will go away.
5 Regions of Conflict Communication Styles
- 1. Competition- when a quick decision is needed/
- 2. Collaboration style- committment from all parties
- 3. Compromise- when accomplishing goal is not as important as maknig relationships.
- 4. Accommodation style- perserving harmony is better than the goal
- 5. Avodance Style- people need to cool down.
- 1. The setting is appropiate
- 2.Get to the point
- 3. Make sure the requested change is something the person can comply.
- 4.Reasonable outcomes
- 1. Ask for an example of the behavior in a question.
- 2. Listen and paraphase
- 3. Admit when wrong
- 4. Ask for improvement.
Principles to maintain emotional Control during conflict
- 1.Accept conflict is normal
- 2.Listen actively, repeat back
- 3. Ask for more info when needed
- 4. Show that understand
- 5. Ask for suggestions.
moving two parties from opposite positions to a common position over some resource that is desired by both.
- 1. People-sepearate the people from issue
- 2.Interests- focus on you and opponents interests
- 3. Options- Come to negotiate options.
- 4. Criteria- standards that both parties accept.
- 1. Issue-
- 2.Positions- state position
- 3. Interests-
- 4.Common Ground-
Alternative Dispute Resolutions
- 1. Open door policy- welcoming suggestions
- 2. Peer review- Complaints heard by supervisors
- 3. Ombudsman- indpendent office resolving probelms.
- 4.Union management model-both parties short term advantages to obtain long term stability and thus less loss
- 5. Employer -run dispute resolution procedure-follow procedures before taking the dispute to courts.
- 6. Mediation- netural party
- 7.Mediation/Arbitration-third party to help
- 8.Fact finding-third party hears both sides, and makes a decision.
- 1.Intuitive Style-creativity
- 2. Normative-everything can be bargained for
- 3.Analytical Style- logic leads to conclusion
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview