The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
differences in group identify, ehnic, or national origin, religious belief or practice, gender or sexual preference and economics
communication studies that considers the relationship between cultures and language
sense of egotism and selfishness about a persons own culture
peope have preconvinced attitudes toward the members of a particular group, leading to bias, unfairness, intolerance, and even injustice.
Types of Prejudice
- 1.Instense -extreme level, demeans others.
- 2.Symbolic -devaluing others because they are seen as blocking certain desired cultural goals.
- 3.Tokenistic-making small gestures
- 4.Arms-length -not public but private.
set mental pciture of particular group
In Groups-Balance and harmony through contact with people who match our identities
out groups- different but strongly identify
- 1. Individualis/ collectivism-individuality
- 2.High/low power distance-authority is centered in key individuals and not shared
- 3.High /low certaintity- embrace uncertainty, but others avoid uncertainty
- 4.Masculine/feminine-highly assertive and less nuturing cultures are considered masculine, less assertive and more culturing seen feminine.
behaviors that people peform as regular aspects of associating with others.
Strategies for intercultural communication- effective means of managing cultural diversity
- 1. Searching Common Ground
- 2. Adapting to high and low context cultures
- 3. Adapting to group and individual Cultures
- 4. Adapting to task and people orientations
- 5. Adapting to Cultural Hiearchy
- 6.Adjusting Linearity-appropiate changing topics
- 7.Understanding nonverbal interactions-
- 8. Avoding Hasty Generalizations-not judging diff
- 9.Engaging In Cultural Adaptation-new surroundings
Culture shock behavior
- -feeling down or depressed
- -defensive communication
- -statements of great fear and frustration
Adapt to new culture
- -feeling good