The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Small group or team-3-15 members
- 1.Purpose- you have a purpose
- 2.Interdependence-rely on each other
- 3.Interaction- Communicate
- 4.Outcomes- members given a task to produce or manage
- 5.Satisfaction-satisfied being a group member
- 6. Strructure- leadership or responsibility.
greater liking for one another and more cohesiveness
Informal task groups
individuals who are engaged in common task
Informal morale groups
meet casually for relasing tension
group members have access to onte another
communcication among group members through central person or persons
group members are restricted to communicating with a centrally located person.
members communicate with only two other people, one on each side
information passes more randomly among group members, not exclusively through a centrally placed individual or gatekeeper.
Circle or Open channel network
allows interaction among people on either side of one another but prohibits contact among people directly across from one another.
All channel network
interpersonal communication among all group members
- present opportunites
- cellular devices, etc
3 Small Group Leadership styles
- 1.High Directive= dealing with group members
- ADV: effiency to achieve task outcomes
- DIS:some group members perception that they have not been heard or feeling that they have limited input.
- 2.Participatory -designated leader offers guidance
- ADV: moderate task efficiency but high satisfaction.
- 3. Negligent -little guidance or direction that this style closely matches a nonleader situation.
Group Task Outcomes
- 1.Providing info and ideas
- 2.Clarifying ideas and info
- 3.Asking for ideas and info
- 4.Critiquing info
- 5.Analyzing info
Group Satisfaction Outcomes
- 1.Showing solidarity-express support
- 2.Showing agreement-members concur with one another
- 3.Providing emotional support
- 4. Managing conflict
- 5.Providing Tension release
ulterior motive or unstated purpose for doing something
- -Avoiding communication-silence
- -Maintaing group cohension-feel close to each other.
- -Being in the presence of someone with high staus- conformity increase in the presence of high staus leaders.
- -Feeling Invincible- nothing can touch them
Group Problem Solving
- 1.Recognize Difficulty
- 2.Ventilate Feelings
- 3.Describe the problem-
- 4.Develop Solution
an objective person from outside the group is brought in to help member reconcile their difference
- little appeal
- listens to both sides, hands down decision
formal meetings that involve large groups from outside the regular group
groupe members share ideas through email or other communication without meeting.
Computer mediated group communication
the leader of a committee of team members develops a website or electronic bulletin board with chat opp
Conducting a group discussion be brokedn down to three parts
- 1.initiating the discussion
- 2.Developing problem solving strategies
- 3.Initiating a conclusion.
Small groups two basic types of comm
- 1.centralized, communication among group members occurs through a central persons
- 2. descentralized- info passes more randomly among group members, not exclusively through a centrally placed individaul or gatekeeper.