Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Specialized plastid.
- -A cell like organelle present in algae and plants that contains chlorophyll and carries out photosynthesis
Semi-liquid substance that surrounds the thylakoid membrane
- A stacked membranous structure within a chloroplast that contains the chlorophyll.
- -Is site of The Light Reaction in photosynthesis
Connections between Grana
In chloroplasts, a complex, organized, internal membrane composed of flattened disks which contain the photosystems involved in the light dependent reactions of photosynthesis
Consists of 1 or more Chlorophyll a molecules in the matrix of protein, that passes electrons out of the photosystem
Light energy to make NADPH and ATP.
- 78% Nitrogen
- 21% Oxygen
- 1% Others
Chlorophyll function and structure
- Function = Captures photons of light
- Structure = Hydrophobic Tail + Ring of excitation
- -Main photosynthetic pigment in plants and cyanobacteria.
- -The only pigment that can act directly to convert light energy into chemical energy
- -Absorbs the 1st pigment (shortest wavelength) in the visible light spectrum
Chlorophyll b and Carotenoids
- -Acts as an accessory pigment (secondary light absorbing pigment)
- -Complements and adds to the light absorption of chlorophyll a
- - Increases range of wavelengths
- -Cannont directly convert light energy into chemical energy
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview