5.5.BKM Ch 16 (Managing Bond PF)
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Passive bond investment strategies
- Overview: do not attempt to identify under/overpriced bonds; assumes prices are fairly set
- Indexing: mirror overall results of the broad mkt (hard because mkt chgs frequently)
- Immunization: attempt to eliminate interest rate risk from FP by either immunizing the net worth or the holding period. In both cases it requires rebalancing the PF
- CF matching: it does eliminate risk, but is severly limits PF choices (could even be possible that no asset match the required duration)
Active bond management
- Overview: attempt to improve returns either by (a) forecasting future rates or (b) identifying mispriced bonds using bond swaps
- Substitution: replace a bond w/ nearly identical substitute w/ a lower price (b)
- Intermarket spread: in anticipation of chgs in spread btwn diff sectors of bond mkt (b)
- Rate anticipation: in anticipation of chg in rate that might affect some bonds more than others (a)
- Pure yield pickup swap: replace low yielding bonds w/ higher yield bonds (a)
- Tax swap: try to achieve some tax benefit
Bond Contingent Immunization
Actively manage PF as long as value doesn't dip to or below a pre-defined trigger. At that point, active mgmt ceases and the PF is immunized.
3 reasons why basic bond immunization is irrealistic
- It assumes that interest rate only chg by small amt
- It assumes parallel shifts in term structure
- It ignores inflation
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview