- · Defines the Speedup
- that can be gained by using a specific feature.
· The performance improvements provided by a feature are limited by how often that feature is used.
· Bottleneck is the most promising target for improvements
· “Make the common case fast”
· Infrequent events, even if they consume a lot of time, will make little difference to performance
· Typical use: Change only one parameter of system, and compute effect of this change. The same program, with the same input data, should run on the machine in both cases.