Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what are the three categories of cultural traits?
- material possesions
What is an example of a material possesion? A norm? A value?
- shaking hands
Define and give an example for status positions.
- What you are in relation to those around you.
- doctor in relation to nurses, patients
Define and give an example for status symbols.
- Material possesions attached to a position.
- Chalk for a teacher
Define and give an example for roles.
- Norms associated with status positions
- listening to a patient for a doctor status
Define and give an example for status set.
- Number of status positions a person occupies.
- father, techer, son, friend
Define role confict.
behavior expectations of one role come into conflict with other roles
Define and give an example for ascribed status (2).
Define and give an example for achieved status (3).
- professor, spouse, mother
What are the three Ps which sort status occupants into upper and lower layers?
Ability to impose will on others
Access to the good things in life.
respect given to a status occupant by others
What are the four interaction distances called?
What is the intimate distance? What is done at such a distance (3)?
- 6-18 inches
- wrestling, embracing, conversations in low tones
What is the personal distance? What is done at such a distance (1)?
- 18 inches- 4 feet
- ordinary personal conversation
What is the social distance? What is done at such a distance (2)?
- 4-7 feet
- coworkers converse in office setting
- people speak in an party setting
What is the public distance? What is done at such a distance (1)?
- 7-12 feet
- formal address to an audience
Edward T Hall said you can learn a lot about a culture through how they interpret __________ and ___________.
time and space
learning the norms and values of a culture.
What are the four forces involved in how to fit in (socialization)?
What is cultural relativity?
Judge a person by the values of their own culture.
Define and give an example of universals (3).
- behavioral patterns found in all known cultures
- marriage, dancing, body adornment
Anything that meaningfully represents something other than what it is to a particular culture.
What are the five types of symbols and give an example for each.
- objects- 4 leaf clover- good luck
- designs- <3- love
- sounds- applause- good job
- gestures- pointer finger and fore-finger- peace
What is the most widely used symbol?
What is the Spir-Whorf hypothesis? Example?
- language shapes perception of reality
- policeman-fireman-chairman= indicate male dominated society
What are folkway culture traits?
doesn't endanger stability of society
What are mores?
endagers stability of society
What is a sub-culture?
shares traits with predominant culture
What is a counter culture?
establishes traits apart from predominant culture
What is cultural change, (how is it related to cultural base)?
The more traits a culture has, (the larger its cultural base) the faster it will change.
What is cultural integration?
Relationship between values and norms.
When a culture is tightly integrated...
- norms reflect values
- occurs more often in smaller bases
When a culture is loosely integrated...
norms contradict values
What is a cultural base?
Society's material possesions, norms, values
Define cultural lag.
technology being introduced and used before we have complete understanding of its effect on us.
What is schadenfreude?
German word which means we delight in others' misery
Define material possesion or tool.
tangible objects of a culture
behaviors accepted by society
What was one tool, norm and value from the Serma Tribe from the film Lip Plates and Fighting Sticks?
- beer container
- drinking in peers
What was one tool, norm and value of the Canela Tribe?
- red paint
- honor the dead
T or F? The fewer cultural traits there are, the slower a culture will change.
T or F? The most important values of a culture are referred to as the cultural base.
T or F? A complex, loosely integrated culture is likely to be flexible and able to adjust to change