Card Set Information
computers test 1
When was the abacus first used in computation?
Mechanical adding machine (taxes) � by Blaise Pascal in 1642 AD
1671 AD, By Gottfried von Leibniz , more reliable adding machine that adds, subtracts, multiplies, divides, and calculates square roots, - he is co creator of calculus
Analytical machine to perform calculations automatically. It is programmable; known as the father of computers. Machine was never actually completed because he ran out of funds.
1842 AD by Charles Babbage
Census recording system that uses punched cards
Transformed calculations from years to months
1890 AD: Herman Hollerith
- starts a company that later becomes IBM
John atanasoff (1939)
Designs and builds first electronic digital computer ABC
Ada of lovelace
Wrote programs for a nonexistent machine. She was a mathematician.
1946 AD: Eckert and mauchly
Design and build the ENIAC
- electronic numberical and calculator
- used vacuum tubes. They can do the switch to function
John von Neumann
- proposes stored program architecture that bears his name.
1951 � Eckert and mauchly
1957 AD John Backus and his team
Complete the first compiler
7090 series introduced, first to use transistors
1964 AD: IBM
Announces the 360, first to use integrated circuitry
1972 AD: Dennis Ritchie
Develops the C programming language (Bell Labs)
- precursor of Java
- Altair, the first microcomputer
And the Cray-1, the first supercomputer is announced
1976 AD: DEC
- introduces its popular minipomter, the VAC 11/780
1977 AD: Steve Wozniak and Steve Jobs
Release the apply I on April Fool�s Day, and found Apple Computers
IBM introduces its own PC
Apple introduces the Macintosh
1985 AD: Bjarne Stroustrop at Bell Labs
Develops the C++ programming language; the object oriented extension of C; precursor of Java
Internet is commercialized
Netscape Navigator 1.0 is released; the WWW takes over
Sun releases Java 1.0; object-oriented programming takes off
UNO CS department adopts java as object-oriented language support
Google is founded by Sergey Brin and Larry Page
Apple introduces the iMac, which helps bring Apple back on the computer map
Technology pundits predicted a total computer system collapse because of the Y2K bug. Almost no problems were encountered in the New Year.
Awareness of impact of computers in today�s society
Current knowledge and understanding of computers and their uses
Ability to use computers for relevant tasks
What is a computer
Electronic device operating under the control of instructions stored in its own memory.
- accepts data
- processes data into information
- produces and stores results
- collection of unprocessed items
Conveys meaning and is useful to people
What is the information processing cycle
What is an input device?
- hardware used to enter data and instruction
What is an output device
- hardware that conveys information to one or more people
What is the system unit
- case that contains the electronic components of the computer that are used to process data
What are two main components on the motherboard?
- also called a CPU. The electronic component that interprets and carries out the basic instructions that operate the computer
Consists of electronic components that store instructions waiting to be executed and data needed by those instructions
What is storage
- holds data, instructions, and information for future use
- physical material on which data, instructions, and ifnromation are stored
- records and retrieves items to and from storage media
What is a USB flash drive?
- portable storage device
- small and lightweight enough to be transported on a keychain or in a pocket
- the average USB flash drive can hold about 2 billion characters
What is a hard disk
- provides greater storage capacity than a USB flash drive
- most are housed inside the system unit
What is a compact disc?
Flat, round, portable metal disc
What is a communications device?
- hardware component that enables a computer to send and receive data, instructions, and information
- occurs over cables, telephone lines, cellular radio networks, satellites, and other transmission media
What are the advantages of using computers?
What are the disadvantages of using computers?
- violation of privacy
- public safety
- impact on labor force
- health risks
- impact on environment
What is a network?
- collection of computers and devices connected together, often wirelessly
- used to share
: resources, hardware devices, software programs, data, information, saves time and money.
What is a server?
- it controls access to resources on a network
- clients, or workstations, request resources from the server
What is the internet?
- worldwide collection of networks that connects millions of businesses, government agencies, educational institutions, and individuals
Why do users access the internet?
- research and information
Banking and investing
Download music; share information
What is the web?
- billions of documents, available to anyone connected to the internet
- billions of documents available to anyone connected to the internet
Collection of related web pages
Social networking web site or photo sharing community
- place you share information
Recorded audio stored on a website that can be downloaded
- contains text, graphics, audio, video, and links to other web pages
- consists of time-stamped articles in a journal formet
- consists of a series of instructions that tells the computer what to do and how to do it; aka program
Graphical user interface (GUI)
- allows you to interact with the software using text, graphics, and visual images, such as icons
- controls how you enter data and instructions and how the screen displays information
- programs that control or maintain the operations of the computer and its devices
A set of programs that coordinates all activities among coputer hardware devices