Card Set Information
Science Test Flashcards
What are the
functions of the Respitory System?
1. Inhaling Oxygen
2. Exhaling Carbon Dioxide and water
3. Breathing movement of gases in/out of lungs
II. Path of the air
A. Air goes through
3. Blood Vessels
1. Mucus- moistens air and traps particles
2. Cilia- tiny hairs that sweep mucus to the throat
3. Blood vessels- warms the air
Air enters the
c. Enters the Trachea
2. The walls of the
are made up of
1. Epiglottis- seals off your Trachea when you swallow.
a. made of rings of cartilage
b. lined with cilia and mucus
Air enters the right and left
which directs air into the lungs.
Air enters the
bronchi and goes to the .
2. Small, Alveoli
Alveoli- tiny sacks of lung tissue where gases exchange between capillaries occur.
Oxygen- goes into the blood through the capillary wall and CO2 goes the opposite way.
Diaphram- dome shaped muscle at the base of the lungs.
1. Diaphram contracts and moves down. Ribs move outward.
2. Diaphram moves upward and ribs move inward, pushing air out.
1. Vocal Cords-
2. High Voice-
3. Low Voice-
Larynx- located on top of the trachea
1. 2 folds of connective tissue stretched across the larynx.
2. vocal cords contract and shorten.
3. vocal cords are longer and relaxed.
I. Jobs of the Nerv. System
Recieve info from
Tells your body
1. signal that makes you react.
2. your reaction
3 types of Neurons?
1. Nerve cells
2. message that neurons carry
3. Sensory, Inter, and Motor
1. picks up the stimulus from the environment and changes it into a nerve impulse.
2. carries impulse from neuron to neuron.
3. sends impulse to the muscle.
Structure of Neuron:
4. Axon Tips-
1. Cell body with a nucleus
2. extensions on the cell
3. carries impulse away from cell body
4. releases chemicals that travel across the synapse
5. The chemiclas then go to the dendrites.
1.Central Nervous System-
3.What are the 3 main regions of the Brain?
4. Spinal Cord-
1. The conrol center of your body
2. Controls most functions in the body.
3. Cerebrum, Cerebellum, Brainstem
4. Thick column of nerve tissue that links the brain to the peripheral nervous system.
II. Jobs of the Brain
A. Jobs of the Cerebrum:(
part of the brain)
1. Interpret info from senses.
2. Controls the movement of skeletal muscles.
3. Makes complex menatl processes
: Judgement calls, remember, learning.
Left half of the brain controls the
side of the body.
Right half of the brain controls the
side of the body.
a. Math Skills, logic, writing, speech
b. Creative side, artistic ability
Job of the Cerebellum:( the
largest part of the brain)
1. Coordinates your muscles
2. Helps you keep your balance
Job of the Brainstem: (located between
Cerebellum and Spinal Cord.
1. Involuntary activities; digesting, heart beat, breathing, bladder.
Peripheral Nervous System:
A. Made of:
What are the 2 groups of peripheral nervous systems?
A. nerves that connect CNS to the body.
1. Somatic Nervous System, and Autonomic Nervous system.
1. contols voluntary actions
a. tieing shoes, smiling, frowning
2. controls involuntary actions
a. changes diameter of blood vessels, breathing, digesting
1. automatic response that's rapid and without concious control.
2. bruiselike injury to the brain. When the Cerebrum hits the skull.
3. loss of movement to the part of the body due to spinal cord injury.