micro ch. 10
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
most of genetic information in a bacterium located
within single chromosome
- -number of closed loops of DNA
- -Exist as independent units apart from bacterial chromosome; contain 2% of total genetic info, multiply independently of chromosome
permanent change in organism's DNA
Causes of Mutation
- as a result of identifiable factors known as mutagens,
- -UV radiation - known mutagen
- small segments of DNA that have ability to move from one position to antoher in bacterial chromsome
- -segments carry no genetic information other than for ability to insert to chromosome
transfer of drug resistance taken place
three methods of gene recombination
conjugation, transduction, and transformation
two live bacterial cells come together, donor cell transfer some genetic material to recipient cell
- a plasmid of the donor cell, meaning 'fertility factor'
- -contains 20 genes, assocated with conjugation, genes encode enzymes that replicate DNA and move from donor to recipient
F pili aka sex pili
special pili, hairlike fibers that contact recipient bacteria, then retract so surfaces of donor and recipient so close that a bridge forms
gene transfer occurs with assistance of a bacterial virus
bacterial viruses that are in transduction are known as ..
- bacterium acquires genes from its surrounding environment
- -occurs very limited percentage of bacteria in a population
protein molecules that believe to allow DNA fragments to pass thru bacterial cell membrane
bacterial enzymes, aka restriction enzymes, cuz help bacteria "restrict" bacteriophage replication by destroying page's nucleic acid within bacterial cytoplasm
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview