Anatomy & Physiology II
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- The deep layer.
- A smooth transparent sheet of dense irregular connective tissue that is continuous with the outer coat of the ureter.
- Serves as a barrier against trauma and helps maintain the shape of the kidney.
- Also known as Glomerular capsule.
- A double-walled globe at the proximal end of a nephron that enclosesthe glomerular capillaries.
- Blood plasma is filtered in and then the filtered fluid passes into the renal tubule, which has three main sections.
- 1) Proximal convoluted tubule
- 2) Loop of Henle (nephron loop)
- 3) Distal convoluted tubule
- 1) Regulation of blood ionic composition
- 2) Regulation of blood pH.
- 3) Regulation of blood volume
- 4) Regulation of blood pressure
- 5) Regulation of blood osmolarity
- 6) Production of hormones
- 7) Regulation of blood glucose level
- 8) Excretion of wastes and foreign substances
Regulation of blood ionic composition
The kidneys help regulate the blood levels of several ions, most importantly sodium ions (Na+), potassium ions (K+), calcium ions (Ca2+), chloride ions (Cl-), and phosphate ions (HPO42-)
Regulation of blood pH
The kidneys excrete a variable amount of hydrogen
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview