The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
How does large changes in membrane potential caused by?
- small change in ionic concentrations
- -the number of ions that need to move to generate a potential is very small
- -concentrations remain essentially constant
How to determine structure of K+ channel?
- by X-ray crystallography
- -negatively charged amino acid around pore which attract positive ions
Process of K+ ion to enter selectivity filter .
- K+ ion must lose all water molecules to enter
- -oxygen atoms in selectivity filter spaced perfectly to serve as replacement foroxygen atoms in water molecules stripped off
How does Na+ ion do in selectivity filter?
- Na+ ion can not enter, even though it's smaller
- -oxygen atoms in selectivity filter too far away to compensate for energy loss of water molecules