The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
evaluation is a systematic determination of ____, _____ or ______
t/f evaluation provides ongoing feedback throughout dental hygiene appt
what is the importance of assessing the outcome of both clinical and preventive interventions at the completion of a treatment cycle?
identifies need for further treatment and adapted seflcare protocols
t/f evaluation does not help to determine appropriate maintenance interval
false it DOES help
what are the six steps in evaluation?
- determine indicators to evaluate
- evidence based
_______ = continuing care
t/f oral diseases do recur but control is possible through combined personal and professional effort
t/f the success of the maintenance depends on the clinician and their skills
FALSE! depends on understanding of pt
the purposes of maintenance are to continue _____ state, prevent ______ of infection, prevent new _____, monitor clinical signs of ______ and ______, monitor educational and ____ changes, ongoing_____ and pt _____ (go fight win! you can do it!)
- health and disease
t/f the ppaointment intervals of maintenance are fixed for every pt, it should be every 6 months
false! depends on individuals 2-9 months
appointement intervals for maintenance is based on _____ activity, _____ risk, _____ factors, pt ______ and previous disease
what are some examples of pt that need special appointment requirements of 2 or 3 months
- mentally or physicalled disabled
- cardiovascular disease
- pt undergoing extensive dental care
- rampant dental caries
what are some reasons for referral during the initial visit?
- agressive periodontitis
- necrotizing ulcerative gingivitis
- drug induced gingival enlargement (phenytoin)
what are some reasons for referral during maintenance?
- pocket depth
- furcation involvement
- mucogingival problems (lack of attached gingiva near healthy receded gingival margins)
- periodontal disease that is refractory or not responsive
- severe bone loss and mobility
how can you prevent/control recolonization?
- daily personal dental biofilm control
- professional supervision and maintenance
what are some factors contributing to recurrence of perio? 6
- inadequate biofilm control
- lack of compliance
- incomplete professional treatment
- tobacco use
- systemic disease
- genetic factors
what is the prebook method for recare?
- make appt before pt leaves office
- have pt filll out postcard