IR and The Sea Lecture 2/17
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Nathionality of Vessels
- a registered ship is a state's territory
- no flag
What does it mean if your ship doesn't fly a flag?
- your fair game
- charcteristically pirates
Commonly accpeted practices
- warships deffered to by merchant
- take care of shots length out to see
- rescue people
What does being on the sea mean?
lots of countries comming into contact
What are traditional sea going countries
Iberian, Berut, Great Britian
Why does the international law begin here?
- establish soverignty over ships
- seperates ships from great void
- state must maintain registry of it's ships
- state regulates
- Boarding and Seizure
What are the state regulations on ships
- internal affiars of the ship - organized and run
- safety at sea
- survey of vessel - is it sea worthy
- qualified manning - people who know what they are doing
- crews know maritime rules and laws
What is safety at sea
- all rules for not coliding
- sound signals, lights - regulated so which area diff size and color
- come right - pass port to port
- everyone observes these
What are rules for boarding?
- within your territorial waters
What are rules for seizure
- no state flag - pirates
- if you do, mostly have to give it back
Who gives out flags of convenience
What are flags of convenience?
sell their flag and get money
Why would you want a flag of convenience
- boats get deals
- standards might be different
- ex: crew training might be slightly less
every country made to make nautical charts
What are baselines
where you draw your limits zone
what are on charts
- internal waters
- territorial sea
- contiguous zone
How far does the territorial sea extend?
What is the difference between internal waters and territorial se
what is innocent passage
used to luse the land to know where you are
What are the terms of innocent passage?
- can't stop
- can't let people off
- can't take people on
How far does the contiguous zone go?
what can you do in the contiguous zone?
enforce polution laws
What ar the methods for drawing baselines
- Low water baseline
- straight line baselines
- bay baseline
Low water baseline
mean low water - when tides out wheres your land
straight line baselines
- can make internal waters with islands - draw line between
- normalize it
- semi circle 24 mile diameter
- bay must be larger than semi circle
How are base lines determined?
case by case basis around the world
What are historic bays - ex
- Peter the Great bay
- 108 miles
- historically has been Russia
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview