The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the characteristics of mammals?
Can most adult mammals digest lactose? Why not?
- Most addults do not have lactase wich is an enzyme required to digest lactose (sugar found in milk).
- Less than 10% of humans can digest milk.
Where in the world are you most likely to find
people who can digest lactose (milk)? Where in the world would you most likely find people who cannot digest lactose? (see slide)
- North and central Africa and Northern Europe can digest milk.
- Asian and most of Africa can't digest milk
Latin American, Blacks, Native Americans Can't
Under what conditions did some human groups
evolve the ability to digest (tolerate) lactose?
Evolved in humans that co-habitated with ungulates (cows, sheep)
What is the primary protein in hair?
What are the three major lineages of mammals
(see slide)? Give examples of all three.
- Monotreme -Platypus
- Marsupials- Kangaroos
- Eutherian- (placental mammals) Us and every other mammal
Which mammals are oviparous? Viviparous?
- Oviparous- platypus
Since we don't consider whales to be ungulates, we make the Artiodactyla, the even-toed ungulates, what type of phylogeny (monophyletic, paraphyletic or polyphyletic). Explain.
- Paraphyletic- exclude a common ancestor of all even toed ungulates.
- could call whales ungulates to make it monophyletic
What is the taxonomy of humans (from Domain to
- Domain: Eukarya
- Kingdom: Animalia
- Phylum: Chordata
- Subphylum: Vertebrata
- Class: Mammalia
- Order: Primates
- Family: Hominidae
- *Homo sapiens