Rel2121: Test 2
Card Set Information
Rel2121: Test 2
Rel2121: Test 2
Scotish Irish Presbyterian Lord'd Supper celebration..
(1) ten day celebration with preaching followed by communion
(2) was a precursor for events leading up to the Great Awakening
(3) begins revival in America
begin new line of religious thinking that suggested reason and emotion operated together in developing siritually.
reason and thinking should work together.
visiting and preaching in areas without invitation (religion was very territorial)
(1) supported revival movement
(2) influence was in New England & Middle Colonies
(3) emphasizes emotions, justification by faith, itinerant preaching, & radical human expression & reaction
(4) Theodore Frelinghuysen
(5) George Whitfield
(6) James Davenport
(7) Jonathon Edwards
(8) Gilbert Tennent
"The Grand Itinerant" (traveling preacher); averaged 8000/service
noted for loud music, disturbing the peace late at night, powerful extemporaneous sermons, burning idols
"Sinners in the Hands of & Angry God"
Presbyterian preacher in the Middle Colonies
(1) down-played emotions
(2) Emhasized rationalism
(3) believed in moderation, intellect, predestination, justification through works, attain salvation through time
a strong adherence to a denomination, involves rejection of those who are not like "us"
Morphology of Personal Revival..
examine your life according to the Law of God
-conviction of conscience, realizes there is sin in my life
-realizes something is wrong
-despair of salvation in respect to one's personal strength, you can't fix it
-moving progression. "once alcoholic, always an alcoholic"
-true humiliation of heart, grief because of sin
-come around to grief b/c of it, robbed, lied, cheated
-first entrance into saving grace
-finding something "bigger" then I am
-awareness of presence of faith
-awareness that I am different b/c of this. religious connection
3 log colleges?
preforming marriages, last rights, and baby dedications and admisinistering communion
-there was a collapse of authority; meaning a minister had social standing, b/c he could produce results
Queen Mary Tudor..
"Bloody Mary"; 283 burned at one time while attemting to bring England back to
Queen Mary Stuart of Scotland..
wanted to take over England and Protestants were in cross fire; Catholic vs. Protestant
doctrines of resistance & rebellion..
-carries over for the idendene of New World
-"We will develop over time.. (1700-current) will resist when we can, fight when we have to, in the name of a higher power"
-America is one nation under God
-Demos/theos=God ruling over Demographics
belief in God & man's reasoning; relationship with the natural World.
Deism's Fivefold Affimation..
(1) God exist
(2) God is to be worship
(3) Practicing virtue is true worship of God
(4) People must repent for wrong doing
(5) There are future rewards & punishments
Deism's American addition..
(6) God is a governing & overruling providence who guides & determines the destinies of nations
Atlantic Slave Trade..
(1) approx. 12 million from the West Coast of Africa to the New World
(2) 5 of 6 slaves were to sold to the Carribean & South America
(3) Slaveholders showed no initial interest in spiritual development of slaves
Religious principles that came out of established religious; parameters
- every 1 created equal
- flag, eagle
- Vietnam memorial
- July 4th
What was the basis for civil religion?
English Peritans founded around 1640
Realm of Nature..
-developed by Puritans
-God's great kingdowm, world
-blessed unique land
Realm of Grace..
God's people of faith
"citizens of the world"..
Freedon won now belonged to everyone; uniquely blessed as a land.
Citizen's had a 2-pronged mission:
(1) religous light to nations
(2) librators of oppressed