Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
-Guide: Any vertebrate animal used in research, teaching, or testing.
- -AWR: any live or dead dog, cat, nonhuman
- primate, guinea pig, hamster, rabbit, or any other warm-blooded animal, which is being used, or is intended for use for research, teaching, testing,
- experimentation, or exhibition purposes, or as a pet.
-PHS Policy: Any live, vertebrate animal used or intended for use in research, research training, experimentation, or biological testing or for related purposes
-Guide: Attending DVM, at least one practicing scientist, and at least on public member.
- AWR: At least 3 members. Shall be composed of a Chairman and at least two additional members; Attending DVM and member not affiliated.
-PHS Policy: Not less than 5 members. DVM, one practicing scientist, nonscientific member, not affiliated member.
Major operative procedure/Major surgery
- AWR: any surgical intervention that penetrates and exposes a body cavity or any procedure which produces permanent impairment of physical or physiological functions.
-Guide: penetrates and exposes a body cavity or produces substantial impairment of physical or physiologic function
-Guide: Prolonged restraint, including chairing of nonhuman primates, should be avoided unless it is essential for achieving research objectives and is approved by the IACUC. Minimum required to accomplish the research objectives.
- -AWR: Nonhuman primates must not be maintained in
- restraint devices unless required for health reasons as determined by the attending veterinarian or by a research proposal approved by the Committee at
- research facilities. Maintenance under such restraint must be for the shortest period possible. In instances where long‑term (more than 12 hours) restraint is required, the nonhuman primate must be provided the opportunity daily for unrestrained activity for at least one continuous hour during the period of restraint, unless continuous restraint is required by the research proposal approved by the Committee at research facilities
Study area/Satellite facility
-AWR: any building room, area, enclosure, or other containment outside of a core facility or centrally designated or managed area in which animals are housed for more than 12 hours.
-PHS Policy: any containment outside of a core facility or centrally designated or managed area in which animals are housed for more than 24 hrs