Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What were the effects of the spice trade on the Europeans in the 1400's?
Italian merchants controlled most trade between Asia and Europe
Describe the trade route to the West Indies
- Took a year to travel
- Very dangerous (Robbers)
- Spices were needed
- Traveled in caravans
What were obstacles explorers had to face?
- Poor navigational tools
- Poor Maps
- Fear of the unknown
- Lacked supplies
What were the accomplishments of the explorers?
- Exchanged goods and ideas
- improved ships and maps
- Claimed Territories
What were the motives that dove Europeans to explore the world?
- The economy
- competition for empire and belief in superiority of own culture
- Desire for spices
created more accurate mapsand sea charts
Determined their latitude at sea
- combined square european sails anf arab triangular sails
- rutter in the back center
- Protoguese ship
Prince Henry (Henry the Navigator)
- Mapped the Afrucan coast
- Portuguese Explorer
- Patron of Exploration
- School to train explorers to sail
- Explored the Southern Tip of Africa
- Discovered the Cape of Good Hope
Vasco da Gama
Sailed through the Cape of Good Hope to India
Disease caused by the lack of Vitamin C
Clamied the SW US for spain
- Born in Genoa Italy
- Discovered the Americas
- Thought it was India
Vasco Nunez de Balboa
- Spanish explorer
- clamied the Pacific ocean and adjoining lands for spain
- "south Sea"
- Named the Pacific Ocean from Lt. Pacificus (Calm)
- Found the Straight of Magellan
- 1st to sail around the World
Sail around the world
Exchange between america and other places
- found fishing grounds off Newfoundland
- found a northern route to NA
- Explored the St. Lawerence River
- Explored the Hudson River
- Mapped America
- Wrote "New World"
- Believed americas were a new landmass and not part of asia
- America's named after him
spanish conquerers of the Americas
Resistance from diseases
- Spanish Conquistador
- Conquered the Aztecs
- Thought he was the sun god
- Conquered the Incans
- Clamied most of SA for Spain
Reasons for the spanish victory in SA
- Better military technology
- Division and discontent among the indians
- Disease kill 80% of the natives
- Many iandians believed the disasters they suffered marked the worlds end
who were the first 2 european groups to explore the world?
Portugual and Spain
What was the only influence of Portugual in SA? Who was the rest controlled by?
what do spain and portugual attepmt to do to help the church?
What were the 2 catholic nations?
Spain and Portugual
representatives who ruled in the kings name
large estates run by an owner or the owner's overseer
The right to demand labor or tribute form Native Americans in a particular area in return for spreading religion
Pirates who operated with the approval of the european government against spain france and england
Who claimed parts of the americas?
- The Netherlands
Name of the fist permanent french settlement and year founded?
First english settlement and year?
Which 2 european powers were rivals in the 1700's?
Britain and France
What war did france and britain start and where did it spread? years
- Severn years war
- India and Africa
What treaty ended the seven years war? year signed
spread christianity to the native americans
income from taxes
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview