The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Mononeuropathies are usually due to
Entrapment or compression, as in carpal tunnel syndrome, or trauma.
Mononeuropathy multiplex is usually due to
an inflammatory cause, in particular vasculitic syndromes, such as polyarteritis nodosa, systemic lupus erythematosis, hypersensitivity vasculitis, among others.
- Diabetes mellitus
- toxins-chemotherapy agents
- nutritional neuropathies
- vit B12 deficiency
- inherited neuropathies- eg Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease- high arch, loss of ms, claw toes
- immune mediated neuropathies-Guillain-Barre syndrome.
Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease is caused by
- schwann cell dysfunction.
- recurrent segmental demyelination occurs in a # of chronic hereditary neuropathies, repeated episodes of demyelination + remyelination, leads to florid schwann proliferation, forming multiple layers of schwann cells around thinly myelinated axons, called onion bulb whorls.
damage to the myelin shealth