Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
achieve, gain, win, earn, enjoy ~
- of + a characteristic
- in + a field or an area
- among + a group
- between + noun phrase(s) naming the two equal things
with + noun phrase (the name of sth considered standard)
gain, enjoy ~
British nurses would like to see pay parity with nurses in other major European countries.
parallel (v, n, adj)
The events of the last ten days in some ways parallel those before the 1978 election. * It would be easy to draw a parallel between the town's history and that of its football club. * The grammar classes run parallel to the literature class.
- to parallel sth
- a parallel between sth and sth
- sth is parallel to sth
echo (v, n)
The design of the church echoes that of St. Paul's Cathedral. * There are echoes of Mozart in her first piano compositions.
- to echo sth
- an echo of sth
alike (adj, adv)
- compound subject + intensive verb (be, look, seem, etc.) + alikepair of noun phrases + alike
The children all look
very alike. * Friends and family alike were devastated by the news of her death.
virtually, almost, practically ~
- to + similar things
- in phrase showing how they are the same
The tests are identical to those carried out last year. * The two rooms were virtually identical.
equivalent (adj, n)
Is $50 equivalent to about £30? * Ten thousand people a year die of the disease - that's the equivalent of the population of this town.
- sth is equivalent to sth
- an equivalent of sth
beginning of an adverbial CLAUSE
Just as a dog obeys its master, a wolf defers to the leader of the pack. * Glaciers may look stationary but they flow, just as rivers do.
- at the beginning of a sentence
- after the subject
- modifier of a verb (if the verb is an operator or a pro-verb, ~ comes after it, not before)
- do/did likewise
- Just water these plants twice a week, and likewise the ones in the bedroom. * He voted for the change and he expected his colleagues to do likewise. * Her second marriage was likewise unhappy.
a person or thing which has the same purpose as another one in a different place or organization
(disapproving) someone or something that looks very much like someone or something else
(formal) a copy of sb/sth in the form of a picture or statue
- be the image of sth
- possessive + image, often preceded by in
He's the image of his father. * In the Bible it states that humans were created in the image of
God. * The Pandas are a roots-reggae band in