The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the difference between fantasy and reality?
- *a fantastic detail COULD NOT happen in real life
- (ex. dogs can fly)
- *a realistic detail COULD happen in real life
- (people bungee jump)
When following directions you should do what 3 things?
- 1. read all the directions carefully
- 2. gather necessary materials
- 3. follow each step in order. finish each step before moving ahead
How can you use CONTEXT to find meaning?
- * use a nearby word or phrase that hints at the meaning
- *sometimes a whole sentence or nearby text provides a clue
- *use a dictionary to check the exact meaning.
Endings with -ER and -EST compare things, which one compares THREE or MORE people, places or things?
- ex. this is the GREATEST pizza in the world.
I am BIGGER or BIGGEST than you. Which word fits properly?
Why do you have to DRAW CONCLUSIONS sometimes?
*authors don't always explain everything in a story
*readers can use detail from the story to figure out ideas the author does not state directly
What are the three MAIN elements of STORY STRUCTURE?
- CHARACTERS - main players in the story
- SETTING - time/place in where story occurs
- PLOT - sequence of story events
What does the -Y suffix mean when added to a base word?
it adds the meaning "full of"
ex. FUZZY (full of fuzz)
What does the suffix -LY mean when added to a base word?
-LY means "in a certain way"
ex. quickLY (full of quickness)
A prefix is added to the beginning of a base word.
What do the prefixes UN-, DIS- and NON- mean?
"not" or the "opposite of"
- DISlike (not like)
- UNfriendly (not friendly)
- NONsense (the opposite of making sense)
What does the prefix BI- mean?
What does the prefix MIS- mean?
BI-means two.....ex. BIcycle (two wheels)
MIS means wrong .....ex. MISunderstood (did not understand)
What do you change -FE to when you make a word PLURAL?
-FE chances to VE and add S
What do you change F to when making it plural?
change F to V and add ES. ex. elf=elVES
When a word has multiple definitions, choose the one that makes the most sense.
TRUE OR FALSE
What does a THESAURUS do?
It lists synonyms for words or other words with similar meanings.