Transferring From a Bed to a Wheelchair
Demonstrating Proper Use of Gait Belt
- 1. Lock the bed wheels.
- 2. Resident should have footwear with non-skid soles.
- 3. Move or remove foot rests from wheelchair.
- 4. Lock wheelchair brakes.
- 5. Lower bed and rails.
- 6. Sit resident up, allow to dangle.
- 7. Apply gait belt properly around resident's waist; avoid restricting circulation or breathing, or injury to skin.
- 8. Assist resident to stand while holding gait belt.
- 9. Maintain own body mechanics while assisting resident to stand.
- 10. Transfer to the strong side, using proper technique.
- 11.Position resident properly in wheelchair with residents hips against back of seat.
- 12. Remove gait belt without harming resident.
- 13. Place footrests under residents' feet.