English Oliver Twist
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Who wrote oliver twist?
when was otwist set, and in what era?
2 characters in the same work who are similar, but marked by their contrast
to place side by side, especially for comparison or contrast
why is fagin worse than sikes?
he's a tempter- damns others too.
go between (fagin sells the stolen goods)
when was the restoration?
did the restoration favor fiction or nonfiction?
what kind of nonfiction was in the restoration?
diaries, social treatises, biographies, 1st dictionary, literary criticism
what kind of fiction was in the restoration?
characteristics of the restoration
- favors logic and reason over imagination
- herioc couplet poetry
- math/science discoveries- Newton
what kind of poetry was in the restoration?
- rhymed iambic pentameter
- heroic praises to real people
What began the restoration?
- 1660- restoration of the monarchy (Charles II)
- less power
- 1688- James II (Charles brother) tried to assert Catholicism
- drove him out
- all rulers must be protestant
joint rulers of England
william and mary
German king of England
- great plague
- 1/3 of the lives of London
what ended the great plague?
1666- London fire
How did the restoration end?
1798- publication of lyrical ballads
Pepys Diary written in
shorthand (not code)
execution of a king
why don't we recognize the satire in A Modest Proposal?
- sincere in wanting to help his country
- identifies himself as reasonable
- identifies a solution to a real problem
the restoration is also known as
- the age of pope
- alexander pope- literary criticism
Who wrote A Modest Proposal?
- larger than life hero
- grand eloquent language
- reflects the traditional values of the culture it represents
- Paradise Lost
- Fairy Queen
useas the grand, eloquent language for a perfectly ordinary hero with ordinary events
principle tool of satirists
- take something serious and juxtapose it with something trivial (The Rape of the Lock)
exaggeration in Rape of the Lock
- card game becomes a war
- lock cute- battle
- hair as a prize
- hair cut- dying
3 women poets of the restoration
- lady mary chudleigh
- lady mary wortley montagu
- hannah more
salvery, a poem
- hannah more
- "conquest is pillige with a nobler name"
- first to call Chaucer "Father of english lit"
short, notable, witty phrase (Pope)
- Sam Johnson
- 1st dictionary
- pronuciation- puts marks after the first vowel in the stress
- social satire- scottish, satirizing them (oats)
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview