The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the ACSM recommendations for physical activity for 2010?
- (aerobic exercise >18yo)
- 60 minutes moderate intensity 5x/wk OR 40-45 minutes vigorous intensity 3x/wk OR combination 3-5x/wk
- resistance exercise: 8-10 exercises, 8-12 reps, 2x/wk
- atleast 1,000 kcal of activity per week for greater health benefits
How many kcal/wk is recommended to promote or sustain weight loss?
- 2000 kcal/week
- 100 kcal/week may have health benefits if in poor fitness previously
What are the components of CV exercise prescription?
What is considered moderate intensity in terms of VO2R, HRmax, RPE, METS?
- 40-60% HRR or VO2R
- 55-70% HRmax
- 12-13 RPE
- 3-6 METS
What is considered vigorous intensity in terms of VO2R, HRmax, RPE, METS?
- 61-85% HRR or VO2R
- 71-95% HRmax
- 13+ RPE
- >7 METS
What is heart rate reserve (HRR)?
What is VO2R?
To improve cardiovascular fitness at what level do you need to exercise?
- 40-85% HRR or VO2R
- 55-95% HRmax
- 12-16 RPE
- can only say a few words
- **light intensity may improve CV fitness of individuals with poor fitness
What is the exercise targe VO2?
(VO2max-VO2rest) x desired % exercise intensity of VO2rest
How do you transfer VO2 to METS and how can you use that to prescibe an activity?
- divide by 3.5 to get # of METS
- find an activity (on pg 4) that requires that many METS
What are the two ways to determine intensity by heart rate?
- age determined max heart rate method
- heart rate reserve method (karvonen method)
How do you determine age determined max heart rate method?
- (220-age) x desired exercise intensity if trying to determine target HR
How do you determine HR through the heart rate reserve method?
(HRmax-resting HR) x desired % exercise intensity + RHR
If you want to determine a target heart rate that is more closely aligned with an individuals fitness level how would you find it?
- heart rate reserve method (karvonen method)
- age determined doesn't take into consideration resting HR, so unrelated to fitness level
What are some considerations for prescribing intensity?
- low intensity may still have improvements for unfit individuals
- risk or CV event or orthopedic injury is increased and adherence is lowered with vigorous exercise
What are do beta blockers cause for patients?
- heart rate equations aren't valid
- ideally you would want to use limited graded exercise test to accurately prescribe them exercise
What is the mode in CV prescription?
- types of muscle groups- large, dynamic, rythmical, aerobic, continuous
- how- walking, hiking, running, jogging, cycling, skiing
How frequent do you want to perscribe CV for individuals exercising moderately, and vigorously?
- moderately: 5 days/wk
- vigorously: 3 days/wk
What is the benefit to training 6 or more times a week?
none it increases risk or orthopaedic injury
What does duration of exercise depend on?
What should the duration of exercise be?
- CV health increases with 30 minutes continous or 10 minute bouts of exercise adding up to 30
- VO2max improvements seen through high intensity, low duration interval training
- generally prescribe healthy adults moderate duration (30 min) at moderate intensity 5x/wk
What should occur in the initial conditioning stage of aerobic exercise?
- low to moderate intensity, discontinued duration if needed (unfit individual=VO2max <5 METS)
- encourage low impact
- stretch and light calisthenics to prevent injury
- no more than 20% increase in duration per week, after duration is met can increase intensity no more than 5% every 6th session
- initial conditioning stage lasts 2-6 wks
During the initial conditioning stage how much should duration increase per week and after duration is met then what?
- 20% increase
- once met can increase intensity 5% every 6th session
What occurs during improvement conditioning stage?
- go from discontinous to continous
- duration and intensity should be increased every 2-3 weeks (not simultaneously)
- stage lasts 4-5 months
How often should duration and intensity be increased in the improvement conditioning stage?
every 2-3 weeks but NOT simultaneously
How do you maintain CV fitness?
train at same intensity 2 days/wk will maintain for 15 weeks
What can you reduce and can you NOT reduce to maintain achieved VO2 max?
- can reduce: frequency and duration
- can NOT reduce: intensity- will quickly decondition with intensity decrease
What does a reduction in intensity cause?
How quickly does deconditioning occur?
- 5-10% reduction in VO2max within 3 weeks of no training
- 15% reduction in VO2max within 10 days bedrest
- 30% reduction in VO2max within 3 weeks bedrest
How should you go about taking part in physical activity (basic)?
- warm up to light sweat
- progress to 4 miles before jogging or do a mile in < 20 min
- cool down to avoid soreness, injury and hypotensive response
What is a good energy expenditure goal?
target of 150-400 kcal/day worth of physcial activity or 1000kcal/wk
How long should you exercise for health benefits, weight maintainence, and weight loss?
- health benefits: 30 min/day
- weight maintainance: 30-60 min/day
- weight loss: 90 min/day
How do you determine the caloric cost of exercise?
((MET level of activity-1) x 3.5 x body wieght in kg)/200
What is a good number of steps people should strive to get daily?
What are some important factors of mini-marathon training?
- should be able to run 85% of distance prior to the race
- train at a higher intensity that the race to increase running economy and lactate threshold
- interval training- high intensity 30 sec-5 min, work rest ratio 1:1
- do hills to increase quad strength and speed
- taper training 1 wk before race and rest the day before