For Sulfasalazine, describe
adverse effects (unique 1st, common to others-last)
name any related drugs and their unique characterisitcs.
- converted in colon to 5-ASA & Sulfapyridine
- 5-ASA inhibits PG synthesis & migration of inflammatory cells (--> decreases inflammation)
- UC: Tx & maintenance; considered 1st line Rx's
- Crohn's: adjunct
- folate deficiency (recommend 1mg/d folic acid suppl.)
- allergic rxn (fever, rash, hemolytic anemia)
- N/V, HA, GI upset, malaise
- related drugs:
- *these are better tolerated than Sulfasalazine!!!
- Mesalamine--extended release; as suppository or enema
- Olsalazine -- prodrug, 2-ASA linked via "azo" (reduces absorption in SI, so can make it to colon)