Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Recommended Daily Allowances
Dietary Reference Intake
Fat Soluble Vitamins
- Bind to lipids (fat)
- Absorbed in GI Tract
- Necc For: Good Vision, Wound Healing
- Deficiencies: Night blindness
- Sources: Liver, Whole Milk, Eggs.
- 900 mcg/ day
600 IU/ day
- Necc For: Absorption of Calcium for bone and teeth.
- Defficiensies: Ricketts from Child Deprivation.
- Sources: Produced in skin by UV lights
- 600 IU/ day
- Neccessary For: Immune system Function. Protects cell membranes form oxidation.
- Defficiencies: in alcoholic Abuse, malabsorption syndrome
- Sources- Seeds, nuts, fprtofied cereals
- 15 mg/day
- Neccessary For: Blood Clott Formation
- Defficiencies: In Alcohoic patients on anticoagulants
- Sources: Green Leefy Vegetables
- 120 mcg/day
- Neccessary for: Nerve and cardiovascular system function
- Defficiencies: Chronic alcoholism
- Sources: Fortified Breads and cereals, meat, fish and milk
- 1.2 mg/ day
- Neccessary for: Growth and development
- Defficiencies: Alcoholism, poor diet
- Sources: Nuts, milk, green veggies.
- 1.3 mg/day
- Neccessary For: Lipid (fat) metabolism. Nerve function, Might help reduce cholesterol.
- Defficinecies: Pellagra
- Sources: Nuts,
- lean meats
400 mcg/ day
- Neccessary for: Production of Red blood cells
- Defficiencies: Neural tube deffects
- Sources: spinach, aspargus, grains
- Neccessary For: Maturation of Red Blood Cells, Digestion of Carbs
- Defficiencies: Leads to Pernicuous anemia
- Sources: Meat (Liver) milk Products
- 2.4 mcg/ day
- Neccessary for: Collagen Production, Absorption of Iron
- Defficiencys: Scurvy
- Sources: Citrus Fruits, Vegetables, tomatoes
- 90 mg/day
- Neccessary For: Normal Fluid balance
- Defficiencies: From fluid loss, Vommitting, diarrhea, exercise, bleeding.
- Sources: Table Salt, IV Fluids.
- mg/ day
- Neccessary for: Action Potential
- Defficiency: Rapidly lost from body by excessive urinatioin, or vommitting
- Sources: Excessive levels can lead to cardiac arrest.
- 1 gm/ day
1 gm/ day
- Neccessary for: Bone and teeth formation
- Defficiency: Osteoperosis
- Sources: Dairy Products
- 1 gm/day
- Neccesary for: Productin of Hemoglobin
- Defficiency: Causes Iron Defficiency Anemia
- (the most common Anemia)
- Sources: Liver, Lean red meat, oysters, Green leefy veggies
- 8 mg/ day
- Neccessary for: DNA Metabolism
- Defficiencys: Vegetarian Diets, Malabsorption
- Sources: Oysters, lean meat
- 11 mg/day