Plight of Ocean
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- exploited fish population decline in abundances.
- -its follows pattern: individual sizes decline, total catch declines, fishing effort increases (as effort increases, alternative species are sought)
- -sequence: largest to most profittable to smaller less profitable, as each species is depleted.
example of fisheries impacted.
- British Columbia ling cod.
- 2. Baleen whales off Pacific Ocean. from Blues to Minkes
takes results of many separate studies and pool them to common statistical analysis.
effects on fishery impacts can be grouped into two kinds.
- 1. food web
- 2. foundation species.
exploitation of coral reef species cause..
- healthy to degraded.
- 1. low fish biomass
- 2.high fleshy algal cover
- 3. low coral cover
- 4.high density of microbes
- 5. low coral survival
the effect of overfishing to coral reef ecosystem.
losing large fish = uncontrol growth of algae. this excess is not consumed but disintegrates to more particulate organic carbon dissolved organic carbon. <<these are feeding grounds for microbes to form.
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview