Chapter 6 Notes (SCIENCE).txt
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
Why is it so important to be equitable in science?
- new jobs are being created that have never existed before
- new jobs require mathematical background, experience with computer technology, and ability to apply logical reasoning or scientific methods to investigate situations and solve problems
- positions require communication skills such as: speaking, reading, and writing
What can we as educators DO to help stop stereotypical thinking?
- students need to see that you are endlessly curious about the world
- students needs to meet and learn about people who are passionate about their work
- encourage all students who want to show interest
What is diversity?
actively creating, developing, and nurturing a fully inclusive classroom community symbolized by equal access and respect for all individuals regardless of cultural similarities and differences
What can we DO to help English Language Learners?
- FIRST decide what your students will learn and identify objectives and associated language activities
- SECOND incorporate background knowledge by tying the lesson to the student's knowledge and experience through related activities
- THIRD select a variety of teaching and learning experiences that introduce vocabulary and provide opportunities for children to interact
- FOURTH provide multiple alternatives for children to demonstrate their knowledge and skills
MULTISENSORY STRATEGIES: windowpanes, bag-and-tag word wall, roundhouse diagram, partnering, etc.
Why do we need to address the issue about English Language Learners?
- because in order to develop science talk, English Language Learners must understand scientific communication
- English Language Learners deserve the right to be taught the same material as everyone else no matter the cultural difference
How does helping English Language Learners apply to equity?
- because they need to be productive members in society and be able to speak, listen, and write
- they should be able to model the scientific process and think critically like everyone else
What is needed to teach vocabulary to diverse learners?
- write key concepts and vocabulary used during a lesson on the chalkboard
- emphasize and repeat key words of the lesson as you teach
- make language experience charts
- create roundhouses, semantic maps, and word walls
Some activities to do with diverse learners..
- Visually: multisensory experiences where a lot of hands-on manipulatives are given to explore and describe using descriptive language
- Hearing: concrete objects and experiments that do not rely on hearing as the sense to observe and hypothesize
- Orthopedically: modify investigations to lessen the amount of movement or place the equipment on a table that is reachable and easily accessible
- Intellectually: provide inquiry experiences while keeping the goals and objectives of the child's I.E.P
- Learning: give him adequate time to process the information and relate prompts to further the thinking abilities
- Emotional: create investigations that can be centered around themes and help explain strategies and behaviors
- AUTISM: plan ahead and make sure activities do not require touching or unusual multisensory boxes
What is different about gifted learners when compared to traditional students learning?
- curriculum is restrictive and unchallenging for them
- use many open-ended investigations and activities through a 6E model of science as practice
- manage their own learning through individual and small-group projects
- expose them to persons in science and other professions who can serve as information sources and future role models
Some activities to promote equity in the classroom..
- allow boys and girls have equal amount of time when exploring during scientific inquiry
- allow English Language Learners extra time and attention
- support individuals with disabilities by adapting to their needs
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview