Chapter 7 Learning Centers (SCIENCE).txt
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is a Science Learning Center?
a place where several students at a time can do activities independently, working through materials and directions found there
What must be considered when developing a Science Learning Center?
- purpose and objectives
- activity cards and worksheets
- materials and their resupply
- record keeping and evaluation
- the physical setup
Deciding on the Purpose!
- general enrichment
- complement an instructional unit or to present an entire unit when you only have a few materials
- avoid activities whose outcomes take more time to happen than the time you assign students to be at the center
Developing Activity Cards and Worksheets!
- directions on activity cards must be simple so independent work is possible
- use short sentences and easy words
- scaffolding approach = paring poor readers with good readers who will help
- make design of activity cards appealing and different for each topic
- use cardstock
- include open-ended activities to have many possibilities for process-skill development
- record sheets help tell what child has done
common materials from home that dispel the idea that science is a strange enterprise
Record Keeping and Evaluation!
- have a master list of all center's activities or objectives with the children's names written to one side
- check the child's record sheet against your master list
- monitor student progress to be sure that center activities are meeting your objectives and maintaining the students' interest
- periodically schedule individual conferences
Arranging the Physical Setup!
- locate the center where it will not interfere with other activities and where it is visible to you at all times
- wall space needed
How do you manage the Science Learning Center?
- investigations can be made into learning centers
- always use clear directions
- check to see that the students understand the procedure
- demonstrate an activity to get their interest
- model appropriate behavior with materials
- plenty of time at first to ensure a successful learning experience
- work at centers can be assigned or optional.
- allow children to be an active part in planning their learning
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview