UIL Vocabulary 7
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
- 1. any very wealthy, influential, or powerful person.
- 2. Also, nawab. a person, especially a European, who has made a large fortune in India or another country of the East.
- any plant of the genus Tropaeolum, cultivated for its showy, usually orange, red, or yellow flowers or for its fruit, which is pickled and used like capers
a mixture of preserved fruits, nuts, etc., used as a sauce or in pies, puddings, ice cream, or the like.
said to have been invented by chef of Nesselrode
- any diseased condition of the nervous system.
- resembling snow, especially in whiteness; snowy.
Latin, snowy, snowy white
- 1. not aligned
- 2. not allied with or favoring any other nation or bloc: nonaligned African nations.
- 1. the (poisonous) seed of the orangelike fruit of an East Indian tree, Strychnos nux-vomica, of the logania family, containing strychnine, used in medicine.
- 2. the tree itself; strychnine.
Latin, literally, vomiting out
bento: a meal, usually served in a lacquered or elaborately decorated box that is divided into sections for holding individual portions of food.
< Japanese bentō, probably < Middle Chinese... i.e., provision for an eat-out meal
- French .
- an object of artistic worth or curiosity, especially a small object.
a spotted leopardlike cat, Felis pardalis, ranging from Texas through South America: now greatly reduced in number and endangered in the U.S.
a device for estimating the keenness of the sense of smell
- Biochemistry, Pharmacology .
- 1. any opiumlike substance.
- 2. any of a group of natural substances, as the endorphins, produced by the body in increased amounts in response to stress and pain.
the part of the pharynx between the soft palate and the upper edge of the epiglottis
1. the part of the pharynx between the soft palate and the upper edge of the epiglottis
< French osmatique, equivalent to Greek osm ( ḗ ) smell
sliced veal knuckle or shin bone cooked with olive oil and wine and tomatoes and served with rice or vegetables
- Music .
- a constantly recurring melodic fragment.
- 1. a slightly corded, strong, rich, silk fabric.
- 2. a garment made of this.
- 1. compatriot
- 2. Southwestern U.S.
- a. a rustic or peasant.
- b. a roadrunner.
pertaining to prehistoric humans.
- 1. ridiculously or insultingly small: a paltry sum.
- 2. utterly worthless.
- 3. mean or contemptible: a paltry coward.
Low German, ragged
- 1. of or pertaining to marshes.
- 2. produced by marshes, as miasma or disease.
Latin, swamp, marsh
any mammal of the order Pholidota, of Africa and tropical Asia, having a covering of broad, overlapping, horny scales and feeding on ants and termites.
Malay, one who rolls up
- 1. a short allegorical story designed to illustrate or teach some truth, religious principle, or moral lesson.
- 2. a statement or comment that conveys a meaning indirectly by the use of comparison, analogy, or the like.
<Latin, comparison <Greek, comparison/a throwing
- related to the medical profession in a secondary or supplementary capacity.
having the nature of a paraphrase.
one of the community or inhabitants of a parish (an ecclesiastical district having its own church and member of the clergy).
- 1. sinning; guilty of a moral offense.
- 2. violating a rule, principle, or established practice; faulty; wrong.
- 1. of or pertaining to money: pecuniary difficulties.
- 2. consisting of or given or exacted in money or monetary payments: pecuniary tributes.
- 3. (of a crime, violation, etc.) involving a money penalty or fine
- 1. allowing the maximum passage of light, as glass; translucent.
- 2. clear or limpid: pellucid waters.
- 3. clear in meaning, expression, or style: a pellucid way of writing.
- 1. the condition or service of a peon (worker).
- 2. the practice of holding persons in servitude or partial slavery, as to work off a debt or to serve a penal sentence.
- 1. very durable; permanent; imperishable.
- 2. Theology . eternal; everlasting.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview