UIL Vocabulary 9
Card Set Information
UIL Vocabulary 9
a ring-shaped life preserver.
1. a song in which a phrase, line, or the like, is continually repeated.
2. the music for such a song.
3. a dance in a circle; round dance.
salinometer: an instrument for measuring the amount of salt in a solution.
a city in and the capital of Coahuila, in northern Mexico
having or showing great wisdom or sound judgment
Latin, to be wise, lieterally to taste
resembling scarlatina (scarlet fever) or its eruptions.
a movement or passage of light or playful character, especially as the second or third movement of a sonata or a symphony.
1. having scruples; having or showing a strict regard for what one considers right; principled.
2. punctiliously or minutely careful, precise, or exact
secessionist: a person who secedes (withdraw formally), advocates secession, or claims secession as a constitutional right.
1. (in a cell or gland) the act or process of separating, elaborating, and releasing a substance that fulfills some function within the organism or undergoes
calm, quiet, or composed; undisturbed by passion or excitement
Latin, to allay, quieten
the branch of astronomy that deals with the charting of the moon's surface.
the science dealing with the immunological properties and actions of serum.
1. any of several Old world ducks of the genus Tadorna, certain species of which have highly variegated plumage.
2. any of various other ducks, especially the goosander or merganser.
1. a slight, unreal, or superficial likeness or semblance.
2. an effigy, image, or representation
: a simulacrum of aphrodite.
Latin, likeness, image
1. imitation or enactment, as of something anticipated or in testing.
2. the act or process of pretending; feigning.
3. an assumption or imitation of a particular appearance or form; counterfeit; sham.
4. Psychiatry . a conscious attempt to feign some mental or physical disorder to escape punishment or to gain a desired objective.
1. of, pertaining to, or on the left side; left ( opposed to dextral).
3. (of certain gastropod shells) coiling counterclockwise, as seen from the apex.
1. untidy or unclean in appearance or habits.
2. characteristic of a sloven; slipshod
a person who is habitually inactive or lazy.
of, pertaining to, or signifying the combination or interaction of social and political factors
to walk during sleep; sleepwalk.
1. a frozen fruit-flavored mixture, similar to an ice, but with milk, egg white, or gelatin added.
2. British . a drink made of sweetened fruit juice diluted with water and ice.
3. a frozen fruit or vegetable purée, served either between courses to cleanse the palate or as a dessert.
<French <Italian <Turkish <Arabic
1. pertaining to or of the nature of a spasm; characterized by spasms.
2. resembling a spasm or spasms; sudden but brief; sporadic
: spasmodic efforts at reform.
3. given to or characterized by bursts of excitement.
the condition of being squalid; filth and misery.
1. of, pertaining to, or involving the sternum, the clavicle, and the mastoid process.
2. a thick muscle on each side of the neck, the action of which assists in bending the head and neck forward and sideways.
1. to set some mark of disgrace or infamy upon
2. to mark with a stigma or brand.
3. to produce stigmata, marks, spots, or the like, on.
a person who builds with or dresses stone.
(of a musical direction) progressively quickening in tempo.
Italian, to tighten < Latin
situated or placed beneath an axil (the angle between the upper side of a leaf or stem and the supporting stem or branch.).
Below the dura mater (the tough, fibrous membrane forming the outermost of the three coverings of the brain and spinal cord) but above the arachnoid (middle) membrane of the 3 meninges (membrane)
1. to bribe or induce (someone) unlawfully or secretly to perform some misdeed or to commit a crime.
2. Law .
a. to induce (a person, especially a witness) to give false testimony.
b. to obtain (false testimony) from a witness.
Latin, to instigate secretly
1. the state or fact of being sufficient; adequacy.
2. a sufficient number or amount; enough.
3. adequate provision or supply, especially of wealth.
of superior eminence, rank, or dignity; distinguished, conspicuous, or worthy of note above others.