Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
- Biology .
- an organism living in a state of symbiosis.
Greek, to live together
- Pathology .
- a disease of the spinal cord in which the nerve tissue is replaced by a cavity filled with fluid.
- 1. a slope.
- 2. Geology . a sloping mass of rocky fragments at the base of a cliff.
the philosophical system evolved by Lao-tzu and Chuang-tzu, advocating a life of complete simplicity and naturalness and of noninterference with the course of natural events, in order to attain a happy existence in harmony with the Tao.
Latin, blindly, heedlessly
dark; gloomy; obscure.
a dish of grilled slices of beef, chicken, or fish that have been marinated in soy sauce seasoned with sake, ginger, and sugar.
Japanese, teri= glaze; yaki= broil
a principle or system that gives predominance to the landed (owning land) classes.
excision of all or a part of the thyroid gland
a large marine clam, Amphidesma ventricosum, of waters near New Zealand.
a tall stand for a candelabrum.
Spanish inquisitor general.
pertaining to, involving, or causing torture or suffering.
the science dealing with the effects, antidotes, detection, etc., of poisons.
Latin, showing through, to appear
<Latin <Greek, thrice grooved
a short poem of fixed form, having a rhyme scheme of ab, aa, abab, and having the first line repeated as the fourth and seventh lines, and the second line repeated as the eighth.
French, literally little trio
substance, formerly used in cancer treatment
lacking or having lost life, sharpness, or flavor; no spirit, dull
played at a fast tempo (used as a musical direction)
<Italian <Latin, quick
(Amerigo) Italian merchant, adventurer, and explorer after whom America was named
Victorian art objects, ornaments, furnishings, bric-a-brac, etc.
(formerly) a high official in certain Muslim countries and caliphates, especially a minister of state.
- 1. done, shown, used, etc., maliciously or unjustifiably: a wanton attack; wanton cruelty.
- 2. deliberate and without motive or provocation; uncalled-for; headstrong; willful: Why jeopardize your career in such a wanton way?
- 3. without regard for what is right, just, humane, etc.; careless; reckless: a wanton attacker of religious convictions.
- 4. sexually lawless or unrestrained; loose; lascivious; lewd: wanton behavior.
- 5. extravagantly or excessively luxurious, as a person, manner of living, or style.
Middle English, undisciplined, ill-reared, Latin
a former county in W central England, now part of Hereford and Worcester
- 1. produced by a distortion or lopsidedness of the facial features: a wry grin.
- 2. abnormally bent or turned to one side; twisted; crooked: a wry mouth.
- 3. devious in course or purpose; misdirected.
- 4. contrary; perverse.
- 5. distorted or perverted, as in meaning.
- 6. bitterly or disdainfully ironic or amusing: a wry remark.
<Middle English, to twist <Dutch <Latin <Greek, crooked
a large mustache that curves down the corners of the mouth
a white or yellowish-white, amorphous, odorless, water-insoluble powder, ZnO, used chiefly as a paint pigment, in cosmetics, dental cements, matches, white printing inks, and opaque glass, and in medicine in the treatment of skin conditions.