Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Why 16s Ribosome?
- All cellular life must have ribosomes
- has highly conserved regions (in all organisms) + conserved (differentiate species)
Deep-Branching Thermophiles (3)
- High temps and Fastest growing cells known
- Aquificales, thermotogales (near boiling water)
- Deinococcus live at lower temps, extremely radiation resistant (hiroshima bomb = nothing)
- Oxygenic phototrophs
- Nitrogen fixers ( specialized cell = heterocyst)
What are cyanobacteria subcellular structures?
- Thylakoid (site of photosynthesis)
- Carboxysome-lipid bodies
- gas vessicles
What is a Firmicute? ex?
- phylum of low GC content gram(+) bacteria
- Many are pathogenic
- ex: staph, strep, Listeria (polymerizes actin inside host)
- Acid-fast Cell walls (waxy lipid in cellwall)
- ex Mycobacterium TB, leprae
- Form long multicellular filaments
- Very large Genome
- source of antibiotics
- A special type of inflammation that can occur in a wide variety of diseases
- formed by MycobacteriumCan be aerosolized
- Photohetertroph - rhodospirillium
- Endosymbionts - rhizobium, agrobacterium (plants and animals) - Rickettsias (animals)
Enteric Gamma Proteobacteria
- Faculative Anaerobic rods
- E. coli
Gamma proteobacteria examples
Pathogenic = Salmonella, Proteus, Shigella
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview