The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Describe the Process of Blood Glucose Regulation: hormones involved, condition/situation that activates hormone, result of hormone action.
- *Insulin and Glucagon are key factors in controlling blood glucose
- When blood glucose rises above normal range:
- 1. insulin is released
- 2. glucose is transported into cells or Conversion of glucose to glycogen happens to LOWER IT back to normal
- When blood glucose falls below normal range:
- 1. Pancreas releases Glucagon
- 2. Breakdown of glycogen to glucose OR increased gluconeogenesis happens to RISE IT back to normal
Features of the Meditteranean Diet that make it a healthy alternative to the US diet.
- Up to 40% of fat is composed of monosaturated acids
- Diet is high in: olive oil (main fat), fruits, veggies, whole grains, beans, nuts, and seeds
- Diet has small to moderate amounts of cheese, yogurt, and fish
- Minimal processed, and seasonally fresh foods
- Regular exercise
4 Structure Levels (Shapes) of Protein Organization
- Primary- Amino acids sequenced in polypeptide chain
- Secondary- Hydrogen and sulfur bonds create a spiral shape
- Tertiary- 3 dimensional form that determines function of protein
- Quaternary- 2 or more protein units join together to form a larger protein.