The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what is sensation?
the process of the creation of a nerve impulse (via environmental stimulation), and the transportation of that impulse into the CNS
where does sensation occur?
through all 5 senses
what is perception?
the brain's interpretation of a sensation
what is the purpose of perception & what are some example perception?
- it gives a quality to the incoming sensory info
- ex: bright, pleasant, sweet, smooth
what is a stimulus?
what must it produce to be a stimulus?
- any form of (pure) environmental energy which produces a sensation (anything which causes a receptor cell to fire)
- must produce a sensation
- becoming so used to a stimulus that it no longer produces a perception
- the brain has the ability to screen out extraneous info
what happens to this with age?
- the point at which a sensation produces a perception
- it rises
the brain's ability to detect/ register stimuli that are presented so weakly that they are not perceived consciously